I will not lie and tell you I don’t occasionally enjoy a cinnamon roll for breakfast now and then, but a savory breakfast is one of the greater joys in life. Over the spring and summer, I craved flavor and protein and never thought I could get enough kale on my plate. The summer garden was robust this last season and there never a shortage for my favorite leafy green.
The trick for me is to generally use one pan. While I keep each ingredients in it’s own area of the plan, the fats and flavors boost on another without creating taking away the unique flavors. Yesterday I made two vegan sausage patties (Beyond Meat), sliced baby bellos, and a cup of tiny tomatoes cooked in olive oil and frozen in late summer. The tomatoes were jammy and amazing, and the mushrooms came to life with the spices and fat of the sausages. Piled on some grits – heaven on a plate. Savory breakfasts are warm and fresh, even though you can easily use dinner leftovers from the night before!
Favorite savory combos (lately):
- Spicy sausage, kale, grits
- Sweet sausage, tomato with pesto, grits
- Fresh berries, toast with sriracha mayo and fat slice of tomato with salt and pepper
- Spiced black lentils, jammy tomatoes, and half a slice of crusty toast with olive oil
- Fresh blueberries, slices of tomato with pesto and lemony garlic kale
- Sliced cucumber with dill/vegan mayo, toast with garlic hummus
- Spicy sausage, roasted potatoes (cooked the night before and cooked with the sausage), and sauteed kale